Friday, August 22, 2008

Lots of nights of little sleep ahead

As someone who has been called a fan of strange sports (right Tracy?) and a political junkie (just ask the college roommates who had to live with me watching MSNBC through election seasons), this time of year is about my favorite.

For the past two weeks, I've devoted FAR too much time to watching and cheering for people I'd never heard of compete in sports I never knew of prior to these Olympic games. Ok, I knew of most of the sports, but wouldn't call myself a devoted follower. Tonight I found myself cheering for the guy from Belarus in the final event of the decathlon. Who does that?! And now I'm up watching the late-night edition of the games, waiting for synchronized swimming - the quintessential "weird sport." But wow, it looks tough! And while it's great that we've been able to see some of the event finals live at night because they were happening in the morning in Beijing, I haven't been able to tear myself away from Bob Costas to get to bed at a decent time. Maybe Sunday night I'll actually get a good 8 hours.

But wait....

As soon as the Olympics are over, election season will just be heating up. More tv/news I can't seem to get enough of.

Monday starts the Democratic National Convention, a three day break, and the following Monday (Labor Day) starts the Republican National Convention. I realize most people won't find that very exciting, but I can't get enough of it. And both fortunately (because I love it) and unfortunately (because I'll stay up late watching the analysis by all the pundits), it won't end until November when the election is over!

Because I did Olympic thoughts yesterday, how about a few political thoughts?

1. Anyone on Obama's text message list to find out who his running mate will be? I couldn't bring myself to sign up on his website and risk being bombarded with emails. While it would be cool to get that one big text from Barack, I'm not sure I want to be hearing directly from him for the next two and a half months. Besides, you can bet MSNBC will be updated with the candidate mere seconds after that message is sent out. And as much as I check my news websites, I'll have the name of the potential VP soon enough.

**UPDATE**
As I was typing this, I thought maybe I should check msnbc.com right now.... In case you hadn't heard, Joe Biden it is (per the Associated Press).

2. John McCain seriously doesn't know how many homes he has?!? I realize these guys are answering question after question, hour after hour, day after day, and they're constantly watching what they say. But you don't remember how many houses you have? That worries me....

No comments: